Sunday, May 2, 2010

rePURPOSING Things: Foreign Coins

Don't let the "rePURPOSING THINGS" entry title fool you. This blog is not about crafting things from any old recycled goods. It is about preserving the memories held in collected clutter by transforming it into beautiful, new items .

Here is a good example. Many travelers have a stash of foreign coins - not enough to exchange for US dollars but you can't bring yourself to throw it away because, after all, it is MONEY. And these coins are different from ours - exotic, embossed with other nation's heros and monuments, full of memories from your travels. They are tangible evidence of your travels.


My daughters saved their foreign coins in their jewelry boxes. That gave me an idea. In the spirit of sorting "like with like," I'd make them into something that belonged in a jewelry box. I drilled tiny holes in each one and strung them into fashionable charm bracelets. Their travels are now active memories because when people notice their bracelets they reminisce and trade travel stories. They have been transformed into wearable memories.


6 comments:

  1. Okay, I was wondering about one of the coins in your second picture, the one with the square hole in the upper right. Where is it from and what is it called? I've been looking but I can't seem to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My daughter says it is from either Nepal or Japan, Thanks for reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute. What did you use to drill the holes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. one can also donate the old stuff to UNICEF via euromoney24.com/donations

    ReplyDelete